Chocolate-Espresso Lava Cakes
These are perfect, quick and easy to make, they freeze well too!
Ingredients: (for 8 individual cakes)
1 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
5 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 ½ tsps. baking powder
1 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup sliced almonds
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
6 ounces good quality dark or milk chocolate cut in ½” chunks
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup frozen raspberries or strawberries thawed in their juice and ½ cup sugar
· Sift flour, cocoa powder, coffee powder and baking powder together and set aside.
· In a large bowl add butter and both sugars. Beat until blended
· Beat in eggs one at a time
· add extracts and beat in flour and cocoa mixture until smooth
· Spoon batter into eight, buttered, ½ cup ramekins, or use four one-cup vessels.
· Press a few chunks of chocolate into the top of each cake, and sprinkle tops with sliced almonds.
· Cover and chill for 1 hour or more (can make these a day ahead & chill)
· Uncover cakes, leave at room temperature for 5 mins. prior to baking
· Bake on the centre rack of a preheated 350 (Fahrenheit) oven: 25 minutes for soft centre, 30 minutes for firm, longer if you’re making bigger cakes – test with a toothpick after 30 minutes.
· Simmer thawed berries with sugar until a light syrup forms, serve warm, drizzled over cakes and top with whipped cream
Listen to my humorous Valentine's day story, here : https://soundcloud.com/nessuno-369891428/sets/thats-amore